Stuart Spade doesn’t like Moab’s vampires and winter cold, but he is in love with the town’s adventure, community, scenery and summertime heat.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I followed a friend from Salt Lake City who came down to do Hummer tours and quickly fell in love with the place.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
Everything! Adventure, community, scenery, heat.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
All the damn vampires and the winter cold.
4) What is your occupation?
Beer and wing slinger at ye olde Moab Brewery.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Something I could do from anywhere. Internet-related perhaps.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Get up and cook a nice locally sourced breakfast, sit around and brainstorm an adventure and possibly even to do it.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their cars that read: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I had jaw surgery as a teen and have 16 permanent bolts keeping my jaw together.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Be a mime. I was a silly kid but not the most talkative.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Bouldering over the Colorado River in the summer.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Borneo. Wild animals everywhere, excluding myself.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Living abroad and finding my beautiful fiancé, Tamar.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Deconstruct the government piece by piece and build a new one.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Teleportation so I could climb without a rope and pop into bed after a night out. There are endless possibilities.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
Who wouldn’t want to be anything but the mystical taxi known as Pegasus?
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“The Lost Boys,” featuring the epic Corey duo.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“The Hobbit.” A big adventure involving little characters.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Damian Marley’s “Welcome to Jamrock”; Moby’s “Play”; and Gorillaz’ “Demon Days” – the album I listened to on my first Moab trip.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My grandfather to get a chance to know him better.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Laugh, love, live, and say “YES” more often.
20 Questions is featured weekly to introduce a Moab community member. E-mail Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org if you, or someone you know, should answer our questions.