Yrma moved to the Moab-area for love. She’s and artist who obviously loves animals. If she could be any animal it would be an eagle.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I moved to Castle Valley after I married my husband who already lived there.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
I love the beautiful area we live in and having wildlife around the house.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Living that far away from my mother, who lives in the Netherlands. I have no siblings, so she has no family to visit her.
4) What is your occupation?
I am an artist at heart and a graphic designer.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
That varies, at the moment I’d say a biologist / wildlife photographer.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
After breakfast with my husband I go work in my studio. If he’s not out for his work, we have lunch together. After that I work some more in the studio. In the evening we have dinner together, talking about our day.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
I’d rather be swimming with dolphins.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I’d like to keep it that way.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Become an artist.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
I have many: my hometown Arnhem in the Netherlands, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris and San Diego.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
My greatest achievement lies in the future, I hope.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Make sure everybody can afford medical health insurance. It’s so very sad to read about children with cancer that cannot be helped because their parents cannot pay for treatment. That there’s no future for them.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
The touch of health. Although I do not know if there’s a superhero that possesses that kind of power.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
An eagle, so I can fly wherever and see everything a lot better with those magnificent eyes.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
That’s a hard one, there are so many. If I had to pick just one, I’d say “Whale Rider” based on the novel of the same name by Maori writer Witi Ihimaera. A most moving and beautiful film that inspires and made me cry.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
That would be “Erik en het kleine insektenbook”, which is Dutch for ‘Eric in the land of Insects’ by the Dutch author Godfried Bomans. It’s about a boy who crawls into the painting in his bedroom. He ends up in a meadow and has shrunk to the size of an insect. He meets all these animals, mostly insects. Each insect symbolizes figures from our society. It is very well written.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
“A Reality Tour” by David Bowie, “Live In Ahoy 2006” by the Golden Earring (Radar Love) and “The Complete Studio Recordings” by Led Zeppelin.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
I would love to have dinner with Vincent van Gogh. His color palette and brush strokes are so inspiring and it would be suck an honor to talk with this great artist who was so far ahead of his time and not aware of how famous he’d become after his death.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Try to contribute when possible. We’re all in the same boat, so we might as well make it an enjoyable ride.