– As reported to Kristin Millis
She’d rather be sleeping in, but Julie Gallagher wakes up before dawn each morning to make coffee at “Brewed Awakenings”. When not serving coffee, she enjoys time with her friends and family, and of course, her three very spoiled Chihuahuas.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
A person– who shall remain nameless.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
Without question, the people and the sense of community.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Summer; I am not a huge fan of the heat nor am I a fan of suntans.
4) What is your occupation?
Owner/Operator of Brewed Awakenings.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I love being a business owner but I have a secret fantasy that involves writing and/or teaching.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Wake up before the sun, sling coffee, and go home to spend time with my family as well as our pack of Chihuahuas.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read?
I’d Rather Be…sleeping in!
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I have a Master’s degree in Business Administration and Information Technology and I once lived in Australia.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
…. Join a vampire cult? (I loved Anne Rice and listened to The Cure).
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Anything as long as it involves my family and friends.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
The Pacific Northwest.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Earning my aforementioned MBA/IT and being a mom.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Resign. No one wants me as president, especially not me.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
I have no superhero knowledge so to speak of ….. But if super-intelligence an option, I want that!
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
I would, without a doubt, be one of our Chihuahuas because they are three of the world’s most spoiled pets EVER.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
17) And, your all time favorite book?
I think I’ll go with, Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Who doesn’t love a book about a family of carnival freaks that also serves to analyze contemporary American culture?!
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
CD’s?! Can I take my iPhone? Okay, okay….The Pixies (Best of The Pixies); Concrete Blonde (Bloodletting); The Jesus and Mary Chain (Automatic) or Social Distortion (Self-titled)—I truly can’t decide between the two—maybe half of each.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My son; because one realizes, when the baby bird flies the nest, how precious those moments are. And one always wants for more.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Simple. Be Nice.