Grand County Sheriff's Office

A head-on collision involving a semi truck had traffic stopped on Highway 191 in Moab on the evening of Aug. 21

In a statement released to press, the Grand County Sheriff’s Office reports that deputies responded to an incident where a person had intentionally rammed their car into another vehicle. An ATL (attempt to locate) was dispatched to law enforcement.

The suspect vehicle was later observed in the area of 400 E., and a traffic stop was initiated by a Grand County Deputy.

The suspect driver failed to yield and continued south on 191. Law enforcement followed for approximately 3 miles with emergency lights and siren in an attempt to stop that vehicle.

The suspect vehicle collided with a semi truck that was North bound at approximate MP 122.

The driver of the suspect vehicle received critical injuries from that accident. Utah Highway Patrol is the investigating agency for this incident.

Updated Aug. 22, 10:00 a.m.:

Grand County EMS released a statement via their Facebook page, republished below.

GCEMS would like to recognize several individuals for their life saving actions in regards to the head on collision this evening on SR 191 that included a car vs semi truck with 2 patients. We are grateful for everyone that was involved from multiple different agencies but would like to highlight a few:

  1. The first law enforcement officers/deputies on scene that applied tourniquets.
  2. Fire Chief Brewer who was on his way to his own fire training when he stopped and drove the ambulance to MRH so that we could put 3 providers in the back of the ambulance.
  3. The incredible staff at Moab Regional Hospital who had the Emergency Department Team, Anesthesiology Team & Surgical Team activated and awaiting the patients’ arrival. Easily 20+ people who performed life saving surgical procedures.
  4. The crew at Classic Air Medical who worked side by side the EMS and MRH team and was able to get the patient to definitive care quickly.

A lot of individuals all playing small parts but working together saved a life.

The Moab Sun News will continue to update this developing story.