The “Earn It, Keep It, Save It” coalition, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) and the Internal Revenue Service are offering free tax preparation to Moab-area residents for both federal and Utah State Tax Commission tax returns to be electronically filed.

Free tax help is available at the Utah State University-Moab Extension site at 125 W. 200 South from now through March 31. Residents can call Michael Johnson at 435-259-7558 to make a weekday appointment.

In addition to free tax help being offered during the tax filing season, the Utah State University-Moab Extension site is hosting a special Earned Income Tax Credit event on Thursday, Jan. 28, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Community tax volunteers will be checking to see if Moab area residents who drop by are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The tax credit is for Utahns who work, but don’t make a lot of money. In 2015, if you made $53,505 or less, you may qualify for this refundable credit. Even if you didn’t have any federal income tax withheld on wages earned, you could still get a refund, which could be as much as $6,269 for a married couple with three or more children.

Free tax help is available for those who have low to moderate income, defined as $54,000 or less. It’s also available to seniors, the disabled or those who have English as a second language. Local volunteers have been certified through the IRS VITA/ TCE program to prepare basic tax returns. They can also provide information about the Earned Income Tax Credit and other credits, deductions and allowable expenses that taxpayers may be eligible for and file both federal and state tax returns electronically at no charge. This site is not able to provide help with business tax returns or complex individual income tax returns.

Moab-area residents need to bring: photo identification for themselves and their spouses; Social Security Numbers or Individual Tax Identification Numbers for each person listed on the tax return; all wage and earnings statements (W-2 forms); interest, dividend or miscellaneous income and/ or mortgage interest paid statements (1099 or 1098 forms); if applicable, Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement; proof of health insurance; amounts paid for day care and the day-care provider’s identifying number; a copy of last year’s tax return and any other information concerning income and expenses for 2015. If filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

If you are getting a tax refund, consider using direct deposit. With direct deposit, the IRS could issue your federal tax refund in 21 days or less. You will need to bring bank account and routing identification numbers for direct deposit.

USU-Moab Extension also hosts info session on Jan. 28