Colleen Tibbetts was raised on White’s Ranch and grew up to be a ranch hand. She loves being outside in the desert or on the mountain. If she had a superhero ability, it would be to cure cancer.
1)What initially brought you to Moab?
I was born and raised on the White’s Ranch, now known as Red Cliffs Lodge, up the River Road, State Route 128.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The cattle, the land, and the old Moab folks.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
The tourist trap it has become and so-called environmentalists. Until it comes time to filling up their vehicles with fuel and oil. Then they are just like the rest of us, standing in line.
4) What is your occupation?
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
What I am doing now, or working with children.
6) Describe a typical day in your life
I am up early. I load up my cow dog, drive to the ranch, feed what needs to be fed and make sure I have hay for the week. I ride by myself often. I take turns riding three horses. One is mine, the others belong to Buzz Bates, my boss. Once the horse has had time to eat – I halter him, brush him, saddle up, load him in the horse trailer, make sure I have my dog and my bridle, then it’s off to take care of the cattle wherever they may be. I might check on the cattle, move them to a new place, fix a fence, clear a trail, check the water, dig a ditch – whatever needs to be done. Something you learn quickly on a ranch is that plans change.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
With my kids.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
Is there such a thing in a small town?
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Know who I am and have the most true friends.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Anything outside in the desert or on the mountain.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Where my kids are: Draper and Farmington.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Raising two wonderful children. There is no greater achievement than seeing your children grow into successful adults and become a productive part of society.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Term limits for elected and appointed officials. No perks! Balance the budget and be a leader.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Is there one for curing cancer or illness? That is the one I would want.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A bald eagle, because being able to fly would be an amazing thing.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
I can’t say that I have just one, however I am more of an action / western type, and some comedy.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Last Of The Robbers Roost Outlaws” about Moab’s Bill Tibbetts.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
My little sister Pam’s mix of country music she made for me, some AC/DC with old and new rock mixed in and “How to Survive on a Desert Island.”
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
God. Because when I die I might not get the chance, so I will take it now. I have so many questions!
20) What is your life philosophy?
Life is what you make it, so don’t make it miserable.