One of the first things you’d learn about Karen Ballantyne is that she is gentle and kind. She loves her dog. She loves her kids. And she shares that love with the youth of Moab by supporting them in their activities at the high school.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
My husband Ken’s job with the Utah Highway Patrol.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
I love the small town feeling. I can go and enjoy all the happenings at the high school even though our youngest graduated in 2001. It’s okay to still support the youth.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
None of our grandkids live here.
4) What is your occupation?
Office manager at Ryon Jones’ CPA.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Youth camp director.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Work 8 to 5. Dinner. Housework. Best of all, I get to walk with Charlee our wonderful dog.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be… with my grandkids!
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
Until I am comfortable around people, I am really very quiet and shy.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Live in the mountains.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
High School football.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
I love Durango, Colo.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
My family. I have great kids.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Set a flat tax.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
The power to heal. There are so many people hurting in so many ways. I wish a simple touch could make everything better.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
An Arabian horse. My uncle had one on his horse ranch. They are kind and gentle animals. I hope people think I too am kind and gentle.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Anne of Green Gables”
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
John Denver’s “Greatest Hits”, Ann Murray’s “Greatest Hits” and anything by Chicago.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My parents. There is so much I want to share with them, and I could really use a hug from each of them.
20) What is your life philosophy?
We all have silent battles in our lives. Be sensitive and kind with all you come in contact with.