Deena Whitman is a mom who loves working within the community. She loves to ride her bike and climb and wishes she could neutralize odors.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
A good friend. I moved to SLC a few years ago and didn’t like the city life. My friend told me to check out Moab. “Where the hell is Moab!” I said. Checked out the place and fell in love with ye ol’ Moab.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The community and the diversity of it all.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Seasonal friends. I miss them so much!
4) What is your occupation?
Mom power! I don’t have an on-the-books job but I stay real busy in the community with volunteer work.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I would love to be the Mayor of Moab. Positive changes for the greater good. The biggest project I would like to see happen is creating a community that 100 percent sustainable, which would include closing off the roads in and out of Moab and testing our sustainability for a short time. Then after we would develop ideas to fix weaknesses discovered in the sustainability test.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Wake up by a snuggle bug and feed him a healthy breakfast. Get dressed for a jog and a boost of oxygen, YYYUM! Our activities vary from day to day and weather but I mainly spend time at the library, park, climbing, hanging out with friends, the Mill Creek beach, having a siesta, planning a project to help save the world, or participating in the various community involvement projects such as weed n’ feed.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that read: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read?
I’d Rather Be… I generally don’t have bumper stickers because they are silly but for this article I would have one read… I’d Rather be Climbing in Backcountry.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I don’t like metal. I cringe by the smell of metallic objects. Gross. I especially don’t like to touch pennies. Double gross!
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
I love to ride my bike over wooden bridges heading to Moonflower.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
I was born a women so I took that to the limits and discovered what my body is made for – making another human being.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America? Close all privatized prisons, give the people back their natural rights, end corporate war, clean and protect our food and water sources.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
The ability to neutralize foul odors.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A desert lizard. They are amazing climbers.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
It’s definitely not kid friendly but I laughed through the entire movie, “Grandma’s Boy”.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“1984” by George Orwell
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
A CD of the sound of the ocean. A CD of the worst music on earth so I wouldn’t listen to it. A CD of learning to speak French.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My great grandmother. I want to tell her how much I love making pies, jam and knitting because of her heartwarming lessons. I think about her when I do those things. I also want to tell her how greedy the family became after she died.
20) What is your life philosophy?
The world needs warriors not folk singers.