Sam Sturman already has the job he would most like to do as the associate director / academic advisor for Utah State University. As a level “A” racquetball player, he wishes there were a court in town. If he were a superhero – he’d be Hawkman.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I started mountain biking back in the 1990 and discovered Moab. I didn’t move here until 2003 with a job at Utah State University.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The small town feel and those Red Rocks!
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
I wish there was a racquetball court.
4) What is your occupation?
Associate Director / Academic Advisor for Utah State University
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I already have it.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Off to work by 7:30, work with students and projects, home by 4:30, off for a hike with my corgi dogs or bicycle ride.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that read: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be… Hiking
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am really quite shy. I am an introvert living in an extrovert world.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
To play basketball! I only played two years of college basketball, but I did become a level ‘A’ racquetball player.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Poking around on the desert, contra dancing, or volunteering.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
I love to snorkel: Belize, St. John, Hawaii, Barbados and Palau Indonesia is next!
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
It is still to come! I want to be part of the building of a new college campus in Moab. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And after that I will need another task.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Protect public lands.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Hawkman – to fly with birds. It would be great to explore the canyons
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
Corgi – They have attitude in a small body.
16) What is your all-time favorite movie?
17) And, your all time favorite book?
Richard L Evan’s “Quote Book” (1975)
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Music: Moody Blues, Neil Diamond, & Constance Demby
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Just my kids that would be best for me.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Don’t look back on life; it is no longer an option. All you can do is move forward with the rest of your life.
20 Questions is featured weekly to introduce a Moab community member. E-mail Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org if you, or someone you know, should answer our questions.