Andy Smith would be happy fishing, but instead he works each day to save the world and maybe a few people working in his job with Emergency Medical Services. His greatest achievement was getting his wife to marry him.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
My first three trips to Moab were all to run the river as a teenager.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
That is a hard question. I love 2 things equally: My job and the scenery!
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Probably just being somewhat isolated.
4) What is your occupation?
I work for Grand County Emergency Medical Services.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Fly fishing guide would be nice and easy, but my current occupation is pretty awesome.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Wake up at 5:30 a.m. to my little girl screaming, try to sleep for another hour or so, make the kids breakfast, eat a little myself, go to the office, answer some emails, go to meetings, maybe go on a call, try to save the world, go home spend some quality time with the family, eat a great meal my wife cooked, and start all over again.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that read: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
I think I actually have one of these somewhere, it says I’d rather be fly fishing.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I’m an open book!
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Get suspended. AGAIN!
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Canyoneering, and I love walking the trails with my kids.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Getting my wife to marry me.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
I’m sure this will be unpopular but I would push for a flat tax rate.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Go, go gadget legs!
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A bear! Sleep all winter and fish all summer.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Ghost in the Darkness”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
I read a lot of organizational/leadership books, I think the best one so far is “7 Habits of Highly Effective People”.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
“Grand Prix” by Teenage Fanclub; James Taylor’s greatest hits; and Crowded House’s “Woodface”.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My father, it would be nice to get advice from him again.
20) What is your life philosophy?