Virginia Allen was the considered the person to get married, have kids and live a normal life. She is a registered nurse, but chose to move to Moab, enjoy the outdoors and write about it as the author of “A Guide to Discovery” series.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
We were living in Provo, Utah and wanted to visit Mesa Verde National Park, so we drove through Moab. We became tired and decided to stay overnight in the park. It took us so long driving up the road that we didn’t get a campsite, but we fell in love with the park and hunting for natural arches and took many trips to Moab to explore before moving here.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
We can go out hiking anytime we want, and there is always a new place to visit.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
4) What is your occupation?
Author of “A Guide to Discovery” series and other books on the Kindle store.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I love what I do now.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
I always get up in the morning to work on my writing, take a short walk or longer hike most afternoons, then read, and listen to music daily. No schedule except for what I set for myself.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
I’d Rather Be Hiking
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am a registered nurse.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Get married, have a large family and a normal life.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Getting out into the wild country, finding new places to explore.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Yellowstone National Park
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Having a good marriage and two talented sons.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Make sure that everyone has the opportunity to succeed by providing affordable living conditions and health care.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Encourage all the world to live in peace.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
Bighorn sheep. They look so confident and unfazed by what is happening.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
There are so many. One that I watch over and over is “Oh, God!”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
Asking a writer this question poses a problem. It is usually the latest good book I read. I really enjoyed David McCollough’s “John Adams”, a Pulitzer Prize Winner.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
The opera “La Traviata”, John Denver’s “Seasons of the Heart” and Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
President George Washington
20) What is your life philosophy?
Never give up on your dream no matter how long it takes to become reality.