John Mealey was once a cop. He wishes he were a fisherman, but instead gets to work on the school district web site and provide IT support at the high school. He’s a lovely man who brings his wife, Kerry, a cup of tea each morning and would rather have dinner with her than anyone else.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
A job with the Moab City Police Dept. (June of 1977)
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The diversity of people is what I like most about Moab. It’s unusual for such a small community to have people from so many walks and with so many views of life.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
I think it’s a toss-up. I’m not fond of the cold we get in winter. I miss living closer to the ocean.
4) What is your occupation?
I work in the IT department of the Grand County School District.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Fisherman, but at this point I don’t think I could handle the work for 20 hours a day.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Up early, breakfast and coffee, start a fire, take a cup of tea to Kerry and leave for work. At work I check on the school record software, data quality and the school website and take whatever action is require. I post the high school announcements on the website. Throughout the day I provide tech support for the staff at the high school. Sometimes I attend meetings.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
Humor is my religion. If you can’t laugh you’re going to hell… so to speak.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
I don’t know… Go crazy?
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Studying rocks, geologically, mineralogically, paleontologically, etc.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
So far… Baja California.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Raising four sons who all work and support themselves and their families.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Try to get the congress to pass election finance reform and term limits for all offices.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A sea lion. I love the ocean and to swim and fish.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Little Big Man”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“The Clan of the Cave Bear”
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you? Taj Mahal, B.B. King and Aretha Franklin
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Kerry, my wife. She’s interesting to talk to and knows what I like to eat.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Don’t whine about your problems and do your best to have fun.