Sean Hazell came to Moab for a college internship. But now lives here and loves to eat at Milt’s, swim in Mill Creek and get paid to ride a bike. Ask him how he got his upright pinky toe.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
A college internship and the great outdoors
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The fact that you can spend a lifetime exploring the 15 square miles around town and still not see everything this landscape has to offer.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Being so far away from family.
4) What is your occupation?
I work at Western Spirit Cycling coordinating the event Outerbike and guiding trips.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Getting paid to ride my bike and talk to others about riding bikes sounds just about right!
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Wake up, head to the office with my dog Louie, season permitting going for a hike or ride after work, then heading home for dinner with Laura.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…Shreddin the Gnar .
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
For some reason my pinky toes stick up in the air. I think it’s evolutionary…
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Become a “world wide wanderer”
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Going on a hard mountain bike ride followed by Milt’s and a swim in Mill Creek.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
So far – Yellowstone National Park. What a special place!
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Spending a year in the AmeriCorps NCCC program.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
I would focus the nations attention on ending the use of the Filibuster in the US Senate. Maybe with the filibuster gone congress could actually accomplish something meaningful.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A dog so I could run through the mountains and desert with my dog. He makes it look sooo fun.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Where the Red Fern Grows”
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
This is, by far, the hardest question and I have to cheat a little bit. Let’s say “Déjà Vu” by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. “So Many Roads” box set by the Grateful Dead and “Mountain Tracks” box set by Yonder Mountain String Band
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Both of my grandfathers because they were amazing men who I never knew as an adult.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Go with the flow.