20 Questions with Taryn Kay
– As reported to Kristin Millis
Taryn Kay came to Moab to teach fifth grade students at Helen M. Knight. Now she’s the principal for fourth, fifth and sixth graders at the school. She likes the seashore and doesn’t need a CD to distract her if she was stuck on a desert island. And she likes elephants.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I got a job here at HMK to teach fifth grade.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
It’s one of the most beautiful places on Earth. And the kids are the best on the planet as well. And I have the most amazing friends here.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
4) What is your occupation?
I am the 4-6 grade principal at HMK and I am the assistant soccer coach for both boys and girls at GCHS.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I have the job I would want most in the world. I’d be a bat girl for the New York Yankees otherwise.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Exercise with my dogs, drink coffee with my partner, read, work, cook, relax, sleep, repeat.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am allergic to horses.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Study humanities and ancient civilizations
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Just spending time in the desert – – camping, hiking
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Point Reyes National Seashore
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Being a mom
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Give everyone ropes to negotiate all the cliffs we seem to be going over.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Ensure everyone has enough
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
An elephant – – amazing gentility and intelligence
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
Three-way tie: “Finding Nemo”, “Toy Story 3”, and “Robin Hood” (with Kevin Costner)
17) And, your all time favorite book?
Terry Brooks’ “Sword of Shanara” (anything by Terry Brooks)
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
I’d just want to appreciate the noise and silence of the ocean.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My parents because I miss them and I have so many questions to ask them. I’d be better able to hear their answers now.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Be constantly gracious and compassionate and the rest will take care of itself.