Chris Martinez loves to run, and we’re not talking about a few laps on the track. His favorite lap is the White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park. He loved running so much that it brought him success as the owner of 360 Moab Adventures, a trail running tour company and the director of three trail running races.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I saw an amazing sunset at Fisher Towers while passing through from Cape Cod, Mass. I knew this was the place to settle down.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The surrounding outdoors. A great place to raise my family
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
There isn’t a great music scene
4) What is your occupation?
Well to survive in Moab you need to have multiple talents. I own GrassRoots Events: I race direct three trail running races and I’m a guide on the rivers and I’m the owner of 360 Moab Adventures which is guided trail running tour company.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
The current one, I’m living my dream and getting paid!
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Watching my 17 month old in the morning, then hitting a trail for a run in the afternoon.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read?
I’d Rather Be… Trail running
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I’m an 8th grade drop out but have been written about in Bloomberg Financial Magazine. Boy, I would love to tell that to my school teachers, who said I wouldn’t amount to anything. How do you like them apples?
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
Drop-out or end up in prison.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Again trail running in the backcountry, White Rim is my favorite loop!
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Thailand and Kauai. If Moab only had an ocean, I would never have to leave.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
My success as a race director and being able to support my family doing it.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Create a platform where all American citizens can have an open dialogue on issues that affect their lives directly.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
I already have one but I would add Wonder Twin power activate, form a beer.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A raven soaring through our canyons, they seem to follow me while I’m out running.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Harold & Maude”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“One River” by Wade Davis
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
“Stop Making Sense” by Talking Heads, “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd, and Beastie Boys’ “Anthology”.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My Nana who passed away, I would like her to spend time with my boys, and to taste her homemade flour tortillas one more time!
20) What is your life philosophy?
In order for you to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. Follow your heart’s passion.