Ray Tibbetts has been in Moab a long time. His dad, Bill Tibbetts, returned his family to his hometown to live an honest life after his adventures with the Robbers Roost Outlaws. Tibbetts still loves the canyons and the desert, but he thinks Moab is getting too big.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
My family moved here in 1939, from Santa Fe, New Mex. My father was coming home.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The beautiful land and open spaces. Getting the red sand in your blood – it’s part of your DNA.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
It is starting to get big.
4) What is your occupation?
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Explore the canyons and desert.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Walking my yard and cleaning, always have a good walk.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
Hunting and 4-wheeling.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am a strong Constitutionalist.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Hiking and 4-wheeling.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Having a loving wife and five great, beautiful daughters.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
I would cut the size the big government- and strive to put people to work- develop our energy. Everyone has the right to try and fail.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
The God power to heal people and things with energy and healing
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A bull. I am Taurus in the Zodiac.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
Louis and Clark
17) And, your all time favorite book?
The Last Robbers Roost Outlaw
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, what would you want to have with you?
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
President Thomas Jefferson.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Live your life with gusto and treat everyone with grace and friendship.