20 questions with Dennis Wells
– As reported to Kristin Millis
Dennis Wells has found success by helping young people find their own success. He coached the Moab Red Devil football team to their first state championship in 2005. In addition, he has sent both the GCHS boys and girls track teams to a state championship, as well as two football, two baseball and two wrestling teams to state championships from his time coaching in Nevada.
1) What initially brought you to Moab? This is my hometown. I wanted to coach here and have my son Trace experience being a Red Devil. It’s been nice for my daughters to be Red Devils too.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab? The scenery we enjoy every day. No greater place in the world.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab? The cost of living and the fact that teaching doesn’t bring in much money.
4) What is your occupation? Teaching, coaching. Carpenter in the summer.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do? Coach
6) Describe a typical day in your life. Up at six, go to school until 2:30. Coach until six and go home to my family.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be… Golfing
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I love to visit the national and state parks. When we go somewhere as a family to visit we make it a point to visit all the parks we can.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…Probably to succeed. My goal since I finished playing football in college has been a successful coach. I want to be able to look back on my life and know that I have touched lives for the better.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity? Going to the mountains fishing and hunting. I have given up my favorite pastime of deer hunting since I have been coaching the last 23 years.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit. East Coast I love all the historical sites.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life? Besides my children I would have to say helping bring Moab it’s first state championship in football. Then there are other various championships including the first boys and girls track championships here in Moab and two football, two baseball and seven wrestling championships in Nevada.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
I would make sure that teachers get paid what their services are worth. I’m sure you can think of a teacher or coach that has put you on the track you are today because they cared or taught you what you needed to survive in this world.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Superman, for obvious reasons.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
I would be a dog with a very good loving owner.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Back to the Future”. I love the idea of revisiting the past.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Eagles, Journey, Zach Brown band and Elvis Presley
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Elvis Presley. I grew up listening to his songs and felt he died way too young.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Live life to its fullest. If there is something you want to accomplish then set a goal and go after it. Do not put of anything until tomorrow. DO it today.