She’s a self-proclaimed “Counter Jockey” and if you have visited the Moab BARKery, you more than likely were greeted and guided by Jessica Turquette, co-owner of the popular local pet shop. When not at the store, her life might include raw juice, Weiner dogs, marrying people, watching roller derby and, of course, laughing. Read on to learn more about Jessica – you might laugh too.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I was laid off from my job as a stockbroker, and since the field is super competitive, I figured dropping out of the rat race wasn’t such a bad idea. My parents owned the Castle Valley Inn here in Castle Valley and they needed help – no brainer!
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
You can live and work here for 10 years without going on the river, hiking or biking.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
“Moab Standard Time,” but I’m getting used to it.
4) What is your occupation?
Counter jockey and co-owner of the Moab BARKery & Self-Serve Dog Wash.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Crab fisherman on the Bering Sea or rhythmic gymnast.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Weiner dogs, raw juice, paperwork, primping, work, Weiner dogs and cats, dinner, TV/book or computer games, sleep, repeat.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather Be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am an ordained minister and have even married people in the BARKery. We are full service, yah know?!
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
…Get sent to the principal’s office for staging a protest during science class because we were dissecting cats. Not that it happened or anything like that.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Hiking (although watching roller derby and local theatre are a close second).
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Passing the Series 7 to get my brokerage license. I studied for six months straight!
13) If you were President, what’s the first think you’d do to make life better in America?
Ban the Electoral College vote, ban marriage (of any kind), increase the budget for teachers and school lunches.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Telekinesis, the ability to manipulate matter (for those who don’t like X-Men).
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
Blue Whale (as far away from the coast of Japan as possible).
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
If I have to pick just one it would be “Tommy Boy.”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Where the Sidewalk Ends,” by Shel Silverstein
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Bob Marley, “The Essential Bob Marley and the Wailers;” Annie Lennox, “Diva;” Enya, “Paint the Sky with Stars”
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Eleanor Roosevelt (to learn from), George Carlin (to laugh with), Willie Nelson (to sing with).
20) What is your life philosophy?
Be excellent to each other and party on dudes!