Joe Kingsley came to Moab looking for gold and found home instead. A realtor and business owner, Joe loves the people he works with everyday – the community of Moab. But, if he had to visit elsewhere, New Mexico and Las Vegas top the list. Find out what else is at the top of Joe’s life list, below.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I was a gold broker and Dean Luxton had an idea to get gold dust out of the Colorado River sand. It worked, but not enough to make it worthwhile; so we started the Castle Valley River Ranchos project with Carlsberg Investments.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
The people and the beautiful area.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
The lack of shopping, but that is becoming less and less of an issue.
4) What is your occupation?
Mostly, I am a Realtor and a business owner.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Thank you, I have that job now – working with the people of Moab.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Doing e-mails for about two hours and answering the phone. Checking with staff about current situations. Following up on my volunteer assignments. E-mails. Real Estate. Real Estate. And, by night fall, Facebook.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather Be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
…On a cruise with my wife.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I was a park ranger at Carlsbad Caverns.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
…Get killed on my Harley.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
I enjoy the Moab Rotary Club and Farmers’ Market.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
New Mexico and Las Vegas.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Being the father of my two great sons. I am very proud to be in their shadow.
13) If you were President, what’s the first think you’d do to make life better in America?
Revise the tax code to be more simple and eliminate loop holes and tax breaks.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Superman’s flying ability. I tried several times in my younger days, until I broke my arm jumping off buildings.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A dog. Assuming I would be with a good family, we would do things together and bond for the betterment of all.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
Several, but maybe “Indiana Jones.”
17) And, your all time favorite book?
Einstein’s “Theory of Relativity.”
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
John Denver, Celine and Bill Crosby
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
Jon Hunstman. Why? I have before, and I would like to tell him to get his act together and focus on getting what he wants – he should be our President.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Be happy and help your neighbor.