– As reported to Meredith Mirrington
Kerry Soliz is a woman who loves searching for petroglyphs in the desert, enjoys cuddling with her dogs and whose life philosophy is “Just keep swimming.” Want to know more about Kerry? Keep reading.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
Moab, or rather Indian Creek, was a yearly vacation destination for many years and one year I picked up a real estate paper just for kicks and daydreams. On a whim, I decided to look at property in Spanish Valley. The day was one of those perfect October days with the big puffy clouds and 75 degree temps which lead to me losing my mind, purchasing the property, returning home to Tahoe to gather my belongings and move to Moab.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
There is so much to love about Moab, but if there is only one thing I can pick I would have to say, the vast and breathtaking solitude to be found only 10 minutes from my house.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
The struggle to make a living.
4) What is your occupation?
Licensed Massage Therapist
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
If I can’t have a job being a student, then I am doing exactly what I want right now.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Awaken. Cuddle with dogs. Make green tea. Cuddle with dogs some more. Go to work, or not. Play whenever possible. Laugh heartily when the opportunity presents itself. Get some exercise. Go home. Do some housework, or not. Create in my craft room. Cuddle with dogs. Sleep.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
…Doing what I am already doing
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am actually very, very shy. I have just learned to pretend I am not.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
…Have many adventures.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Wandering in the desert searching for petroglyphs.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
The coast wherever it is.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Being the grandmother to the best 8-year-old boy who ever lived.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Fire all Congressmen.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
I can shoot fire from my eyes and read golden retriever minds now. Do I need another superpower?
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A golden retriever because they are big squishy hunks of love.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Murphy’s Romance” or “Patton.” Can’t choose between them.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert A. Heinlein.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
“Blue Incantation,” Sanjay Mishra and Jerry Garcia; “La Quintette du Hot Club de France,” Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli; and any CD by Patsy Cline.
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
I would like to have dinner with my little Yaqui grandmother. I did not have the opportunity to know her in this lifetime.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Just keep swimming.