Steve Lawry is an adventurer at heart. He started river guiding when he was just 17 and he now owns Canyonlands Jeep and Auto Rentals so that others can take their own adventure. Learn more about Steve’s adventures, below.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
In 1975, I was in between river trips and I wandered up to the ballpark to check it out. I was asked to join the game and went out for dinner after. I remembered that friendly, accepting hospitality – that got me back here in 2001.
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
Two of the many things I love: being a school bus driver and the fact that you can get out of bed and be on an adventure within 20 minutes.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Small town gossip!
4) What is your occupation?
Co-owner of Canyonlands Jeep and Auto Rentals and president of the Moab Area
Chamber of Commerce.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
I’ve already done it! River guiding all over the west for the past 30-plus years.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Everyday is an adventure. I don’t have typical days.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
…Heliskiing with my friends on the Tusher mountain range.
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I was leading river trips through the Grand Canyon at the age of 17.
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Mountain biking with my honey.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
East by Southwest restaurant in Durango eating orders of Hand Grenades.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Being a part of my wonderful, amazing daughter’s life and trying not to embarrass her with everything I say.
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Lobby for something that would disable cell phones in automobiles.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Flight! Have you ever watched a raven glide?
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
Any of my four dogs – they rule our roost.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
17) And, your all time favorite book?
Getting lost with your imagination in the Harry Potter books.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffet and The Eagles
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why? My Dad. I would thank him for the wisdom and tools he instilled in my life.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Clean House, Trust God, Help Others. (B Wilson @ Dr. R.H. Smith)
20 Questions is featured weekly to introduce a Moab community member. E-mail Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you, or someone you know, should answer our questions.