Jeff Flanders knows the swimming pool codes at most of the condo complexes across town – he swims there when the days get too hot and when he’s not on golf course taking money from his friends. Oh, he’s also the manager of KZMU radio. Read more about Jeff, funny man and caretaker of the planet, below.
1) What initially brought you to Moab?
I wanted to live as close to Monticello as possible. (I love the Shake Shack!)
2) What do you love most about living in Moab?
Feeling like I’m on another planet that is not connected to the insanity of the rest of the world.
3) What do you dislike about living in Moab?
Constant flow of trucks and tractor trailers roaring through downtown Moab. And, I don’t care for goatheads either.
4) What is your occupation?
Taking money from my friends on the golf course. Also, managing our fun little radio station, KZMU.
5) If you could have any job in the world, what would you most like to do?
Design amusement park rides.
6) Describe a typical day in your life.
Get up, take a 30-minute bath in my jacuzzi tub, make a big smoothie, work at KZMU in the morning, golf or explore the backcountry in the afternoon, watch a little MSNBC (Ed Schultz and/or Rachel Maddow) and play a game of scrabble with my best friend in the world, Colleen, my wife.
7) Some people have bumper stickers on their car that reads: I’d Rather be Sailing. What would your bumper sticker read? I’d Rather Be…
8) Tell us one thing people don’t usually know about you.
I am constantly being mistaken for Brad Pitt at airports. Poor guy!
9) In high school, you would have been considered the person most likely to…
…Leave home the day after graduation and travel the country for two years – which I did.
10) What is your favorite Moab activity?
Swimming in the pools at all the condo complexes when it gets really hot.
11) Tell us your favorite non-Moab place to visit.
Floating down the Muddy Creek in the San Rafael Swell or just about any Caribbean island.
12) What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?
Probably winning the Green River Melon Days golf tournament six times. NOBODY has done that!
13) If you were President, what’s the first thing you’d do to make life better in America?
Institute publicly financed elections. And, bring our troops home from around the world and put them on jobs rebuilding our infrastructure and alternative energy projects.
14) What superhero power would you most like to have?
Be fluid in all the languages in the world. No more traveling and saying things like “Me American”, “Where beer?”, “Where toilet?”.
15) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
A really cute doggie that lives with a single, ultra-rich woman in her mansion.
16) What is your all time favorite movie?
“Thunderheart” with Val Kilmer and Sam Shepard.
17) And, your all time favorite book?
“The Exorcist.” I had to sleep with the lights on to make sure the dresser drawers didn’t start flying around the room.
18) If you were stranded on a desert island, which three CDs would you want to have with you?
Only three? Come on – I run a radio station with 10,000 CDs. Okay – Steely Dan’s “Aja”, Van Morrison’s “No Method, No Guru, No Teacher”, Les McCann and Eddie Harris’s “Swiss Movement.”
19) If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why? I’d have a bite with author George Orwell (“Animal Farm”, “1984”). I’d buy him a martini and let him talk for as long as wanted. His ideas about society, power, government were pretty visionary.
20) What is your life philosophy?
Be in service to other people and take care of the planet. That’s all that matters.